Every Story Has a Twist…
Many of you will have noticed that the Honey Badger headed back for port on Monday June 9th, after 7 hours of what seemed like a pretty darned good start for a female pair.
So what happened?
As we got further out into the challenging conditions of an unusually south westerly (strong) wind we were batted around quite a bit by the chop created by the wind and the contradictory currents As a result Leanne began to get quite sea sick. It would seem that Leanne had some doubts about the row before we left but had just been putting them down to nerves and was determined to push through them. As we progressed further out she began to realise that rowing an ocean just wasn’t for her. Eventually we agreed that the best thing would be for us to head back in to port.
I know it wasn’t easy for her, and it became quite a difficult row back into the harbour for both of us.
The past two and half years of preparation and planning had all been about the two of us rowing together to Hawaii. But as I turned the boat around I knew I wasn’t done yet. I would take Leanne back to Monterey, but I was already thinking in my head how I would make this journey continue.
My options were solo, or find another partner. So started the internal debate about the pros and cons of all options, and if I did find another partner WHO would it be? Would they be up for dropping everything and jumping in with a stranger to row to Hawaii? I certainly had never imagined I’d be doing this row with a stranger, in fact I’d heard of such things happening before and thought it was crazy. But now, being in this situation, I didn’t find it so crazy…
As we neared the shore I had already formulated a plan, a plan that I’ve been working on intently since.
I tossed the idea of Solo around in my head but I never really felt excited by the idea. After a chat with some experienced ocean rowers I realised that I needed to be excited about doing it solo, and not do it because it was my only option.
So what happens now?
I know many of you are waiting eagerly to find out what the next move is and I would dearly love to be able to tell you all the details but at this point all I can do is give you some rough details.
- I will be doing it with a new partner. To be officially named in the next couple of days.
- I am officially disqualified from the race (as I have lost my original named team mate) and will be doing the row purely to row the Pacific! I will still be eligible for the Guinness records AND will still be the first Canadian to row the Pacific!
- You will still be able to track us! Details for that will follow soon…
- We hope to arrive in Hawaii in a comparable time to the other crews so that we can all enjoy our success together!
I will still be aiming to provide updates during the row. I will certainly be letting everyone know when we are due to set off again. Thank you all so much for your support!!!
Tell us what you think...